Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Europe - Germany


31 August'10


Just went through something very cool! Took a train from Copenhagen and headed for Berlin. Some unexpected happened! The train came to a shoreline and it went into huge ocean liner! And with us in it! Haha! Disembarked and had breakfast on the ship during the 45mins journey across the sea. And continued on our way. Decided to get off at Hamburg for a few hours. It is the 2nd largest port after Rotterdam in Europe.

This is the absolutely delicious CurryWurst!




Hamburg is a very nice city! Full of live and very nice people! :)



01 - 02 Sept'10



Sitting at the hall of a hostel named, "The 3 Little Pigs". It is very well rated on HostelWorlds.com. I think this is a very nice place. It was previously a very old convent and now renovated to be a hostel. The winding corridors are a tad spooky. :p The facilities are good and at night the hall is filled with people from everywhere playing pool, cards, chatting, using the internet, drinking, letter writing, etc etc.

The side trip to Hamburg is quite fun. It is a thriving city, not too pack and not too "rushy". Just the way I like it. :) Spend about 5 hours there and tried my first ever german Currywurst. It was quite good. :) Walk around and get lost a bit. Haha. And off we go to Berlin!

Touch down at Berlin Haupbahnhof. Central station of Berlin. Came straight to the hostel and once we put down our things, we are out to see how does a normal "Berlin Night" is like. Came to a breath taking sight… The Brandenburg Gate. Oh my… It is absolutely fabulous… Images of rows and rows of soldiers march past the Gate came unbidden to me. I imagine how spectacular is was during the height of Hilter's reign.


Branderburg Gate

After bumming around for a while, we came back to a pub outside the hostel and had drinks and a delicious mushroom pizza. A little bad luck was that the washing machine was out of order. :(

The next morning, I could not wake the sleepy head and only managed to get out of the hostel after 10am. Went to a part of the Berlin Wall and check out a exhibition about the world period. It was mainly with regards to the Gestapo and the other military aspects of the Hilter's reign.

After a slight shower, we got mixed up with the directions and stumbled upon a chinese bistro. I had crispy duck noodle and it was surprisingly good! :)



After which we went to the Reichstag! It is very beautiful! When I did History and my Multimedia project on Germany, I told myself that Germany is one of my "must-go" destination. And just by standing my the Branderburg Gate, Reichstag and the Berlin Wall, I am so overwhelmed! :)


Reichstag



Berlin Wall

En-route to Amsterdam! Haha!

3 comments:

Leonie said...

Wow sounds like you liek Germany =)
I want to visit as many countrys as you wehn im old enough ^-^

Unknown said...

Счастливый! А мне и рассказать нечего. Я нигде не была.

The one next door said...

Looks like fun!
I'm going to Berlin in a few weeks.
Beautiful photo's in your blogs, nice to see so much from other city's!